[dm-devel] [patch 4/4] dm-writecache: use new API for flushing

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Tue May 22 20:52:17 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 22 2018 at  3:27pm -0400,
Dan Williams <dan.j.williams at intel.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:19 PM, Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 22 2018 at  3:00pm -0400,
> > Dan Williams <dan.j.williams at intel.com> wrote:

> >> Except I'm being responsive.
> >
> > Except you're looking to immediately punt to linux-arm-kernel ;)
>
> Well, I'm not, not really. I'm saying drop ARM support, it's not ready.
>

> >> I agree with Christoph that we should
> >> build pmem helpers at an architecture level and not per-driver. Let's
> >> make this driver depend on ARCH_HAS_PMEM_API and require ARM to catch
> >> up to x86 in this space. We already have PowerPC enabling PMEM API, so
> >> I don't see an unreasonable barrier to ask the same of ARM. This patch
> >> is not even cc'd to linux-arm-kernel. Has the subject been broached
> >> with them?
> >
> > No idea.  Not by me.
> >
> > The thing is, I'm no expert in pmem.  You are.  Coordinating the change
> > with ARM et al feels unnecessarily limiting and quicky moves outside my
> > control.
> >
> > Serious question: Why can't this code land in this dm-writecache target
> > and then be lifted (or obsoleted)?
>
> Because we already have an API, and we don't want to promote local
> solutions to global problems, or carry  unnecessary technical debt.
>

> > But if you think it worthwhile to force ARM to step up then fine.  That
> > does limit the availability of using writecache on ARM while they get
> > the PMEM API together.
> >
> > I'll do whatever you want.. just put the smack down and tell me how it
> > is ;)
>
> I'd say just control the variables you can control. Drop the ARM
> support if you want to move forward and propose extensions / updates
> to the pmem api for x86 and I'll help push those since I was involved
> in pushing the x86 pmem api in the first instance. That way you don't
> need to touch this driver as new archs add their pmem api enabling.

Looking at Mikulas' wrapper API that you and hch are calling into
question:

For ARM it is using arch/arm64/mm/flush.c:arch_wb_cache_pmem().
(And ARM does seem to be providing CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_PMEM_API.)

Whereas x86_64 is using memcpy_flushcache() as provided by
CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_UACCESS_FLUSHCACHE.
(Yet ARM does provide arch/arm64/lib/uaccess_flushcache.c:memcpy_flushcache)

Just seems this isn't purely about ARM lacking on an API level (given on
x86_64 Mikulas isn't only using CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_PMEM_API).

Seems this is more to do with x86_64 having efficient Non-temporal
stores?

Anyway, I'm still trying to appreciate the details here before I can
make any forward progress.

Mike