[dm-devel] [patch 4/4] dm-writecache: use new API for flushing

Mikulas Patocka mpatocka at redhat.com
Sat May 26 07:02:52 UTC 2018

On Fri, 25 May 2018, Dan Williams wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 5:51 AM, Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 25 2018 at  2:17am -0400,
> > Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> But memcpy_flushcache() on ARM64 is slow.
>
> Right, so again, what is wrong with memcpy_flushcache_relaxed() +
> wmb() or otherwise making memcpy_flushcache() ordered. I do not see
> that as a trailblazing requirement, I see that as typical review and a
> reduction of the operation space that you are proposing.

memcpy_flushcache on ARM64 is generally wrong thing to do, because it is
slower than memcpy and explicit cache flush.

Suppose that you want to write data to a block device and make it
persistent. So you send a WRITE bio and then a FLUSH bio.

Now - how to implement these two bios on persistent memory:

On X86, the WRITE bio does memcpy_flushcache() and the FLUSH bio does
wmb() - this is the optimal implementation.

But on ARM64, memcpy_flushcache() is suboptimal. On ARM64, the optimal
implementation is that the WRITE bio does just memcpy() and the FLUSH bio
does arch_wb_cache_pmem() on the affected range.

Why is memcpy_flushcache() is suboptimal on ARM? The ARM architecture
doesn't have non-temporal stores. So, memcpy_flushcache() is implemented
as memcpy() followed by a cache flush.

Now - if you flush the cache immediatelly after memcpy, the cache is full
of dirty lines and the cache-flushing code has to write these lines back
and that is slow.

If you flush the cache some time after memcpy (i.e. when the FLUSH bio is
received), the processor already flushed some part of the cache on its
own, so the cache-flushing function has less work to do and it is faster.

So the conclusion is - don't use memcpy_flushcache on ARM. This problem
cannot be fixed by a better implementation of memcpy_flushcache.

Mikulas