[dm-devel] [patch 4/4] dm-writecache: use new API for flushing

Mikulas Patocka mpatocka at redhat.com
Wed May 30 13:07:55 UTC 2018

On Mon, 28 May 2018, Dan Williams wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 6:32 AM, Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> It sounds like ARM might be better off with mapping its pmem as
> >> write-through rather than write-back, and skip the explicit cache
> >
> > I doubt it would perform well - write combining combines the writes into a
> > larger segments - and write-through doesn't.
> >

> Last I checked write-through caching does not disable write combining
>
> >> management altogether. You speak of "optimal" and "sub-optimal", but
> >> what would be more clear is fio measurements of the relative IOPs and
> >> latency profiles of the different approaches. The reason I am
> >> continuing to push here is that reducing the operation space from
> >> 'copy-flush-commit' to just 'copy' or 'copy-commit' simplifies the
> >> maintenance long term.
> >
> > I measured it (with nvme backing store) and late cache flushing has 12%
> > better performance than eager flushing with memcpy_flushcache().
>
> I assume what you're seeing is ARM64 over-flushing the amount of dirty
> data so it becomes more efficient to do an amortized flush at the end?
> However, that effectively makes memcpy_flushcache() unusable in the
> way it can be used on x86. You claimed that ARM does not support
> non-temporal stores, but it does, see the STNP instruction. I do not
> want to see arch specific optimizations in drivers, so either
> write-through mappings is a potential answer to remove the need to
> explicitly manage flushing, or just implement STNP hacks in
> memcpy_flushcache() like you did with MOVNT on x86.
>
> > 131836 4k iops - vs - 117016.
>
> To be clear this is memcpy_flushcache() vs memcpy + flush?

I found out what caused the difference. I used dax_flush on the version of
dm-writecache that I had on the ARM machine (with the kernel 4.14, because
it is the last version where dax on ramdisk works) - and I thought that
dax_flush flushes the cache, but it doesn't.

When I replaced dax_flush with arch_wb_cache_pmem, the performance
difference between early flushing and late flushing disappeared.

So I think we can remove this per-architecture switch from dm-writecache.

Mikulas