[dm-devel] LUKS2 - RAID0 - NVME : alignment issue

laurent cop laurent.cop at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 11:56:35 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have trouble while in top of the stack :
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/raid0luks2
/dev/mapper/raid0luks2 alignement is offset by 147456 bytes
This may result in very poor performance (re-) partitioning is suggested.
I have the same pb with mkfs.xfs

I am using following scheme:

LUKS2           => created with cryptsetup -v luksFormat --type luks2
/dev/md127 --cipher aes-gcm-random --integrity aeae
RAID 0           => created with mdadm chunk=32
3 Disks *NVME* => partition with gdisk (fist sector : 2048)

I got this information with lsblk -t for each 3 disks, i got the same
information.
nvmeXn1
       -> NvmeXn1p1                                 ALIGN = 0
                  -> md127                               ALIGN = 0
                           -> raid0luks2_dif           ALIGN = 147456
                                       -> raid0luks2     ALIGN = 147456
1) How can I solve my alignment issue?
2) Is it normal to have low performances while writing with dd. I was using
LUKS previously and I got only one dev mapper. Now I got 2. Does it have a
big impact on performances?

Kind regards.