[dm-devel] max_sectors_kb limitations with VDO and dm-thin

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue Apr 23 10:11:16 UTC 2019

Dne 19. 04. 19 v 16:40 Ryan Norwood napsal(a):
> We have been using dm-thin layered above VDO and have noticed that our
> performance is not optimal for large sequential writes as max_sectors_kb
> and max_hw_sectors_kb for all thin devices are set to 4k due to the VDO layer
> beneath.
>
> This effectively eliminates the performance optimizations for sequential
> writes to skip both zeroing and COW overhead when a write fully overlaps a
> thin chunk as all bios are split into 4k which always be less than the 64k
> thin chunk minimum.
>
> Is this known behavior? Is there any way around this issue?

Hi

If you require highest performance - I'd suggest to avoid using VDO.
VDO replaces performance with better space utilization.
It works on 4KiB block - so by design it's going to be slow.

I'd also probably not mix 2 provisioning technologies together - there
is nontrivial amount of problematic states when the whole device stack
runs out of real physical space.

Regards

Zdenek