[dm-devel] block: Fix a WRITE SAME BUG_ON

Heinz Mauelshagen heinzm at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 16:03:40 UTC 2019

On 2/1/19 3:09 PM, John Dorminy wrote:
> I didn't know such a thing existed... does it work on any block
> device? Where do I read more about this?

Use sg_write_same(8) from package sg3_utils.

For instance 'sg_write_same --in=foobarfile --lba=0 --num=20000
--xferlen=512 /dev/sdwhatever'

will read the pattern to write same from file 'foobarfile' with length
explicitely set to 512 bytes
(rather than derived from foobarfile's size) and write it 20000 times
starting at LBA 0 to /dev/sdwhatever.