[dm-devel] Serial console is causing system lock-up

Mikulas Patocka mpatocka at redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 14:27:13 UTC 2019

Hi

I was debugging some kernel lockup with storage drivers and it turned out
that the lockup is caused by the serial console subsystem. If we use
serial console and if we write to it excessively, the kernel sometimes
lockup, sometimes reports rcu stalls and NMI backtraces. Sometimes it will
just print the console messages without donig anything else.

This program tests the issue - on framebuffer console, the system is
sluggish, but it is possible to unload the module with rmmod. On serial
console, it locks up to the point that unloading the module is not
possible.

Mikulas

------------

#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/init.h>
#include <linux/delay.h>
#include <linux/slab.h>
#include <linux/kthread.h>

int n_threads = 0;
int sleep_ms = 0;

module_param_named(n_threads, n_threads, int, S_IRUGO);
MODULE_PARM_DESC(n_threads, "The number of kernel threads");

module_param_named(sleep_ms, sleep_ms, int, S_IRUGO);
MODULE_PARM_DESC(sleep_ms, "Sleep time in milliseconds");

struct task_struct **tasks;

static int console_dumper(void *data)
{
	int t = (int)(long)data;
	while (!kthread_should_stop()) {
		printk("line from thread %d ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\n", t);
		if (sleep_ms > 0)
			msleep(sleep_ms);
		cond_resched();
	}
	return 0;
}

static int __init dump_init(void)
{
	int i;
	if (n_threads <= 0)
		n_threads = num_online_cpus();
	tasks = kmalloc(n_threads * sizeof(struct task_struct *), GFP_KERNEL);
	if (!tasks)
		return -ENOMEM;
	for (i = 0; i < n_threads; i++) {
		tasks[i] = kthread_create(console_dumper, (void *)(long)i, "console_dumper");
		if (!tasks[i]) {
			while (i--)
				kthread_stop(tasks[i]);
			kfree(tasks);