[dm-devel] Serial console is causing system lock-up

John Ogness john.ogness at linutronix.de
Fri Mar 8 02:36:27 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-08, Sergey Senozhatsky <sergey.senozhatsky.work at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Perhaps a proper solution would be to drop excessive messages to
>>> serial console unless Oops or BUG has happened?
>>
>> Technically, we can have a per-console loglevel configuration. We
>> have several use cases for this already.
>
> JFI,
>
> lore.kernel.org/r/cover.1551486732.git.calvinowens at fb.com

FWIW, I support the patch. It makes consoles into actual objects rather
than just a collection of callbacks. I feel like Calvin is pushing in a
similar direction to what I would like to see: decoupling of console
drivers to allow for individual behavior and performance tuning. As we
move into the highly SMP systems of the future, I am convinced this is
inevitable.

John Ogness