[dm-devel] add identifying information in INTEGRITY AEAD ERROR message

Erich Eckner device-mapper at eckner.net
Tue May 14 09:48:46 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have a bunch of dm integrity devices tied together to an md raid. Now I
see the following error message in dmesg:

device-mapper: crypt: INTEGRITY AEAD ERROR, sector 1109341168

repeated a couple of times every few seconds in a row with differing
sector numbers. There are no other errors in dmesg next to these. As I
understand, this means, one of the drives deliveres garbage to the
integrity device which hence issues a read error. (There is an e2fsck
running on the raid which generates a lot of disk i/o.) That's good - it's
exactly what I intended this integrity thing for.

My problem now is, that I would like to find out which of my 10 drives is
the bad one. Is there any way to get some identifying information (a uuid,
the name of the device in /dev/mapper/, ...)?

ah, the usual statistics:
> uname -a
Linux fileserver 5.1.0 #56 SMP Tue May 7 06:24:43 CEST 2019 x86_64
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> zgrep INTEGRITY /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INTEGRITY=y
CONFIG_DM_INTEGRITY=y
# CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_CHECK_INTEGRITY is not set
CONFIG_INTEGRITY=y
# CONFIG_INTEGRITY_SIGNATURE is not set
CONFIG_INTEGRITY_AUDIT=y

The kernel is manually compiled - I'm happy to activate any options you
deem necessary.

regards,
Erich Eckner
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena
Institut für Optik und Quantenelektronik
Helmholtzweg 4
07743 Jena

Tel. +49 3641 9-47238