[dm-devel] dm-writecache: change config parameters using messages

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 20:16:18 UTC 2019

Dne 07. 11. 19 v 20:50 Mikulas Patocka napsal(a):

> On Thu, 7 Nov 2019, Maged Mokhtar wrote:
>

>> On 07/11/2019 21:09, Mike Snitzer wrote:

IMHO any target update that is changing behavior of target should be made via
table reload - typical symptom of such requirement is - that change may
requires some memory allocation, metadata updates, synchronization of data on
used disks...

If these things are made via messages - there is 'no simply way' back
(while with table reload - we drop table if 'suspend' cannot proceed).

Another problem is - that if change is not visible via 'table line',
future table access might be unaware of the change  and may reload
table and expect different behavior.

Also actual table update via  suspend & resume cannot be much slower then
message anyway - you can use 'noflush' if you need to - depending on the
situation it might be usable -  and such operation is very quick.

Regards

Zdenek