[dm-devel] ignore/update integrity checksums

Erich Eckner device-mapper at eckner.net
Fri Nov 22 09:07:14 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have multiple disks with LUKS+integrity created by

cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sde --key-file /mnt/key/key --integrity hmac-sha256

which are part of a raid6. Details of the device:

/dev/mapper/leg0 is active.
   type:    LUKS2
   cipher:  aes-xts-plain64
   keysize: 768 bits
   key location: keyring
   integrity: hmac(sha256)
   integrity keysize: 256 bits
   device:  /dev/sdb
   sector size:  512
   offset:  0 sectors
   size:    11031354576 sectors
   mode:    read/write

Recently, I rebooted this box and apparently, I missed to cleanly sync the
disks, so they now report integrity errors, when mdadm probes (during
assemble) for the raid superblock:

device-mapper: crypt: dm-1: INTEGRITY AEAD ERROR, sector 11031354368

There was no write activity on the raid before the reboot except for a
running

mdadm /dev/md0 --replace /dev/dm-0 --with /dev/dm-1

which of course might have written a lot to all superblocks.

Since I believe, the superblocks should be mostly in-sync (except for
event-counters?): Is there a way to ignore or re-calculate the integrity
checks?

Also: What is the correct way to assure, that data has been synced to the
disk(s) before switching off power? (If that matters, there is a
raid-controller underneath: "06:00.0 RAID bus controller: Hewlett-Packard
Company Smart Array G6 controllers (rev 01)" - but it
does not actually handle the raid, it only feeds the disks through to the
os) I can execute any command after closing the luks-integrity device, my
question aims at: what should I execute?

regards,
Erich