[dm-devel] dm: expose dm_copy_name_and_uuid()

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Feb 7 01:42:29 UTC 2020

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 01:24:33AM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> In other words, NEVER report name/uuid without ALSO still reporting
> dm_device_name alongside it.

The reason we only log dm_device_name() is because it is the minimum
necessary to uniquely identify the device and tie together all
the messages relating to it.

Adding name/uuid to every message would make log messages unduly long.
We could offer an in-kernel option to log all setting and changing
of device names and uuids in the dm core, though I might argue that that
would just be covering up inadaquate logging in the userspace tools
making the changes.

Storage-logger offers a compromise that records it all from the
generated uevents.

Alasdair