[dm-devel] dm: expose dm_copy_name_and_uuid()

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Fri Feb 7 17:33:25 UTC 2020

On Thu, Feb 06 2020 at 10:19pm -0500,
John Dorminy <jdorminy at redhat.com> wrote:

> I agree that adding uuid to all messages would be gross bloat, and a
> bad idea to apply everywhere.
>
> I didn't actually realize that devices could be renamed with dmsetup.
> Thanks for pointing that out...

Also, device names can also be ridiculously long.  I really just don't
think logging the name instead of major:minor is a great idea... but I'm
open to target authors electing to log it _in addition to_
dm_device_name() -- but I wouldn't want to go as far as imposing that
constraint with code...

Or would I? ;)

Create dm_pretty_device_name() that logs: "major:minor (name)" ?

Mike