[dm-devel] [LSF/MM/BFP ATTEND] [LSF/MM/BFP TOPIC] Storage: Copy Offload

Knight, Frederick Frederick.Knight at netapp.com
Thu Feb 13 13:09:23 UTC 2020

FWIW - the design of NVMe Simply Copy specifically included versioning of the data structure that describes what to copy.

The reason for that was random peoples desire to complexify the Simple Copy command.  Specifically, there was room designed into the data structure to accommodate a source NSID (to allow cross namespace copy - the intention being namespaces attached to the same controller); and room to accommodate the KPIO key tag value for each source range.  Other people thought they could use this data structure versioning to design a fully SCSI XCOPY compatible data structure.

My point, is just to consider the flexibility and extensibility of the OS interfaces when thinking about "Simple Copy".

I'm just not sure how SIMPLY it will remain.

	Fred