[dm-devel] [LSF/MM/BFP ATTEND] [LSF/MM/BFP TOPIC] Storage: Copy Offload

Martin K. Petersen martin.petersen at oracle.com
Fri Jan 10 05:33:27 UTC 2020

Bart,

> * Copying must be supported not only within a single storage device but
>   also between storage devices.

Identifying which devices to permit copies between has been challenging.
That has since been addressed in T10.

> * VMware, which uses XCOPY (with a one-byte length ID, aka LID1).

I don't think LID1 vs LID4 is particularly interesting for the Linux use
case. It's just an additional command tag since the copy manager is a
third party.

> * Microsoft, which uses ODX (aka LID4 because it has a four-byte length
>   ID).

Microsoft uses the token commands.