[dm-devel] dm-crypt hard lockup

Artur Paszkiewicz artur.paszkiewicz at intel.com
Tue Jun 30 08:05:43 UTC 2020

On 6/28/20 6:50 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> Since considerable time I'm doing kernel builds (make -j8) on an
> openSUSE Tumbleweed system on top of dm-crypt and an NVMe SSD but I have
> not yet encountered any kind of lockup. Maybe another driver, e.g. an
> I/O scheduler, is responsible for the lockups?

It could by another driver. I tried with a different filesystem (xfs),
without any I/O scheduler and even with the sources on a different drive
without dm-crypt, and the results were more or less the same - lockups
involving dm-crypt. Maybe I'm just abusing the system - I'm actually
running "make -j", so the number of tasks is unlimited. With a limited
number it does not hang. I know it's not a good idea to do this but it
used to work, and I think it shouldn't cause the kernel to die like
this.

Artur