[dm-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: RFC: one more time: SCSI device identification

Ewan D. Milne emilne at redhat.com
Tue Apr 27 20:04:19 UTC 2021

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/dm‑devel/2021‑February/msg00116.html

> > > and follow‑ups, for example.
> > >

> > And it's actually something which might happen quite easily.
> > The storage array can unmap a LUN, delete it, create a new one, and
> > map
> > that one into the same LUN number than the old one.
> > If we didn't do I/O during that interval upon the next I/O we will
> > be
> > getting the dreaded 'Power‑On/Reset' sense code.
> > _And nothing else_, due to the arcane rules for sense code
> > generation in
> > SAM.
> > But we end up with a completely different device.
> >
> > The only way out of it is to do a rescan for every POR sense code,
> > and
> > disable the device eg via DID_NO_CONNECT whenever we find that the
> > identification has changed. We already have a copy of the original
> > VPD
> > page 0x83 at hand, so that should be reasonably easy.
>
> I don't know the depth of the SCSI or FC protocol, but storage
> systems
> typically signal such events, maybe either via some unit attention or
> some FC
> event. Older kernels logged that there was a change, but a manual
> SCSI bus scan
> is needed, while newer kernels find new devices "automagically" for
> some
> products. The HP EVA 6000 series wored that way, a 3PAR SotorServ
> 8000 series
> also seems to work that way, but not Pure Storage X70 R3. FOr the
> latter you
> need something like a FC LIP to make the kernel detect the new
> devices (LUNs).
> I'm unsure where the problem is, but in principle the kernel can be
> notified...

There has to be some command on which the Unit Attention status
can be returned.  (In a multipath configuration, the path checker
commands may do this).  In absence of a command, there is no
asynchronous mechanism in SCSI to report the status.

On FC things related to finding a remote port will trigger a rescan.

-Ewan