[dm-devel] Integrity discard/trim extremely slow on NVMe SSD storage (~10GiB/minute)

Melvin Vermeeren vermeeren at vermwa.re
Fri Apr 30 19:23:48 UTC 2021

Hi Mikulas,

Got around to checking the patches today, apologies for the delay.

On Monday, 26 April 2021 17:33:32 CEST Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> I tried it on my nvme device (Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB) and I could
> discard 32GB in 5 seconds.
>
> I assume that it is specific to the nvme device you are using. The device
> is perhaps slow due to a mix of dicard+read+write requests that
> dm-integrity generates.

This makes sense to me as well.

> Could you try it on other nvme disks?

I cannot myself personally, but I asked a friend with Crucial P5 NVMe SSD to
test and there the discards passed through dm-integrity are also well
performing, so it seems specific so Seagate FireCuda 520.

I contacted Seagate about this problem with some refs and reproduction steps,
hopefully they will resolve this in a firmware update or I will have to return
the drives eventually. (The worst part is all I/O blocks hard while handling
integrity discards, causing really system freeze like experience.)

Thanks,

--
Melvin Vermeeren
Systems engineer