[dm-devel] dm: avoid filesystem lookup in dm_get_dev_t()

Martin Wilck mwilck at suse.com
Thu Jan 21 17:41:57 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-01-21 at 18:03 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 11:09:33AM -0500, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > > Mike, do you need anything more to apply this one? Do you want a
> > > cleaned-up resend?
> >
> > It got hung up with Christoph correctly requesting more discussion,
> > last
> > linux-block/lkml mail on the associated thread I kicked off is
> > here:
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/12/23/76
> >
> > Basically if Hannes or yourself would like to review that thread
> > and
> > send a relevant v2 it'd really help move this forward.  I'm bogged
> > down
> > with too many competing tasks.  You guys may be able to act on this
> > line
> > of development/fixing quicker than I'll get to it.
>
> I'll get back to this ASAP, sorry.

AFAICS reverting 644bda6f3460, which is basically what Hannes did,
is consensus. Christoph suggested also to revert the export of
name_to_dev_t(), but that is used in a couple of other places too,
unexporting it will require a bit more work.

I'd like to move forward with the issue of blocking dm ioctls, so
I'll submit a v2. Feel free to use or discard it as you please.

Thanks,
Martin