[dm-devel] Potential enhancements to dm-thin v2

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 14:29:05 UTC 2022

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 11:32:09AM +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Here is actually the fundamental problem with your proposal - our design was
> about careful split between user-space and kernel 'who is the owner/holder
> of information'  - your proposal unfortunately does not fit the model where
> lvm2 is the authoritative owner of info about devices

The proposal is a new tool to manage dm-thin devices, not to rewrite lvm.
I would hope the tool is nothing at all like lvm, but rather "thinsetup"
in the tradition of dmsetup, cryptsetup.  I think it's a great idea and
have wanted such a tool for years.  I have a feeling that many have
already written ad hoc thinsetup-like tools, and there would be fairly
broad interest in it (especially if it has a proper lib api.)

Dave