[dm-devel] Revert "dm space maps: don't reset space map allocation cursor when committing"

Edward Thornber thornber at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 16:06:29 UTC 2022

I'm having trouble understanding your issue.  Does your ramdisk only
allocate backing memory on demand?  (ie. is the ramdisk itself a thinly
provisioned device?).  If so, not supporting discard seems to be the
problem.

Thinp makes no promises about where it will allocate your data.  If you
write a file, delete it, discard and then rewrite the file there is no
guarantee that the file will be written to the same location.