[dm-devel] [git pull] device mapper changes for 6.1

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Thu Oct 20 08:17:43 UTC 2022

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 11:54:49AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I wouldn't worry about maintainer sign-offs just for exporting a
> helper function, but I agree with the whole concept being a complete
> disaster and not a good idea at all.

It's not just a a "helper", it is internal magic for KASAN and low-level
code patching.  No driver has any business checking if something is a
module text/data address, and I'm fairly sure how they are using it is
actually wrong if DM is built in.

FYI, I also agree that the concept is a disaster as well.