[edk2-devel] ExtScsiPassThru support for Logical SCSI devices

Wu, Hao A hao.a.wu at intel.com
Thu Jul 11 12:59:10 UTC 2019

Hello Ravi Kumar,

For: Now the issue is, The same GUID cannot be installed more than once onto the same handle (Controller handle).
So to support 2nd instance we need to create new device path (virtual device path) for that.
Yes. A new handled is needed for the ExtScsiPassThru protocol logical instance.

For: Once more issue is, how do we associate this newly created device path and SCSI PassThru instance with actual controller . ?
I think we can either:
Use OpenProtocol() on behalf of the new handle with an attribute of BY_CHILD_CONTROLLER to create a parent-child relationship.
Or use device path (append nodes after the actual controller’s device path when constructing the device path of the new handle)
to associate them.

For: I dont think, because if any driver supports only Instance with EFI_EXT_SCSI_PASS_THRU_ATTRIBUTES_PHYSICAL bit set, can't they create child handles ??
As far as i know, Logical or Physical Instances are no where related to media access protocols.
Per my understanding, the media device drivers in edk2 are written in a manner to only produce media access protocols upon logical instance of the PassThru protocols.
Some examples are:
MdeModulePkg\Bus\Ata\AtaBusDxe\AtaBus.c - Function AtaBusDriverBindingSupported()
MdeModulePkg\Bus\Scsi\ScsiDiskDxe\ScsiDisk.c - Function DetermineInstallBlockIo()

For: Yes user can get the list of EFI_EXT_SCSI_PASS_THRU_PROTOCOL instances by querying, but how the user can relate a particular instance with a controller. ? Because the 2nd of SCSI PassThru is created on new device path.(which will not have any other protocols, other than device path and ext scsi pass thru).
In my opinion, the device path together with the attribute of the PassThru protocol instance will be sufficient for consumers.
The physical one will be used for device management, while the logical one will be used to further produce upper-layer protocols.

Best Regards,
Hao Wu