[edk2-devel] [edk2] Soft Feature Freeze starts today for edk2-stable201905

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Wed May 22 13:04:56 UTC 2019

On 05/22/19 14:09, Liming Gao wrote:

> Here, I don't want to argue whether they are feature or bug. I just
> want to share my thinking, and collect feedback, then work out the
> clear rule so that all developers can follow.

Good question. Assume we push a series that adds a feature, but then we
realize it was not complete. Do we consider the rest of the work feature
enablement, or bugfix for an earlier (already existing) feature?

Maybe it helps if we try to determine the scope of the feature
precisely, up-front, in the BZ. If a patch falls under that scope (and
under nothing else, e.g. it is not a standalone fix for another bug in
its own right), then we could consider it "feature addition /
enablement".

In that regard, the ShellPkg & EmulatorPkg patches would be feature
enablement, not bug fixes.

But I'm worried that this approach would only push the problem to a
different location, namely, to determining the scope as precisely as
possible in the TianoCore BZ. Sometimes we don't know that a module or
package is affected in the scope, until we try something in practice.

View/Reply Online (#41231): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/41231
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io