[edk2-devel] [edk2-rfc] [RFC] UnitTestFrameworkPkg cmocka submodule alternatives

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Thu Dec 17 14:48:38 UTC 2020

On 12/16/20 19:45, Michael D Kinney wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have had at least three incidents in the last year where the link to the
> cmocka submodule in the UnitTestFrameworkPkg has not been available, and this
> impacted the EDK II CI system.  The following submodule link is the one that
> is not reliable:
>
> 	https://git.cryptomilk.org/projects/cmocka.git
>
> We have identified two potential mirrors of this repo:
>
> 	https://github.com/neverware-mirrors/cmocka.git
> 	https://gitlab.com/cmocka/cmocka.git
>
> The following patch provided a temporary fix for the EDK II CI agents, but
> does not help other consumers of the edk2 repository.
>
> 	https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/commit/be746104d1766a8c363e74d6063144657820d688
>
> I have seen one suggestion that TianoCore create its own
> mirror of cmocka.  This does require monitoring and maintenance
> by the  TianoCore community.  I would prefer to use a well
> maintained mirror in github as long as we do not observe any
> issues with the support of that mirror.
>
> I propose we update the submodule in the UnitTestFrameworkPkg
> to use the https://github.com/neverware-mirrors/cmocka.git mirror.
> By using a mirror in github, we remove one external dependency.
>
> Please provide feedback and comments on this proposal.  If there
> are no objections, then we will proceed with a patch review for
> this update.

We could create our own fork under the <https://github.com/tianocore>
organization.

It does not require much extra maintenance or monitoring, in my opinion.
We only need to advance our fork to the actual master HEAD when we
intend to advance our submodule reference in edk2 as well. As long as
the submodule reference in edk2 does not move, the actual master HEAD of
the cmocka project may very well be ahead of our fork (mirror), without
causing issues.

I don't know who or what the <https://github.com/neverware-mirrors>
organization is, and I'd prefer not fetching code from them automatically.

View/Reply Online (#69139): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/69139
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io