[edk2-devel] reg: PCD To Control MNP Buffer Recycle Support

Maciej Rabeda maciej.rabeda at linux.intel.com
Thu Nov 26 15:39:57 UTC 2020

Hi Nainar,

What do you mean by "controllers do not support recycling of Tx buffers"?
MNP provides a transmit buffer to SNP (and with EDK2's SNP also to UNDI)
and at this point it is considered owned by SNP/UNDI.
After UNDI/SNP successfully transmits the packet, it is expected to give
it back via UNDI->GetStatus().

Adding network controller (NIC) and UNDI into the picture.

1. UNDI->Transmit() gets a single Tx buffer to put on the wire.
2. If a NIC has a pre-allocated region for Tx buffers and cannot
dynamically swap them out, UNDI->Transmit() should copy the Tx buffer
into appropriate region. UNDI driver should also store that Tx buffer
somewhere within the driver, where it will be accessible by
UNDI->GetStatus() function.
3. After successful transmit of Tx buffer, on next UNDI->GetStatus()
with PXE_OPFLAGS_GET_TRANSMITTED_BUFFERS OpFlag, driver should put that
Tx buffer address in PXE_CDB.DBAddr provided to UNDI->GetStatus() as a
parameter.

Summing the above - Tx buffer recycling is purely a SW feature. I do not
understand your request nor find it valid.

Thanks,
Maciej

View/Reply Online (#68025): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/68025
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io