[edk2-devel] [GSoC proposal] Secure Image Loader

Marvin Häuser mhaeuser at posteo.de
Thu Apr 8 09:50:53 UTC 2021

Sorry, I accidentally removed an inline comment when sending.

Best regards,
Marvin

On 08.04.21 11:41, Marvin Häuser wrote:
> Well, I assume this is a misunderstanding. I understood your usage of
> "workaround" to be supporting both *_PROTOCOL and *2_PROTOCOL
> instances. Yes, backwards-compatibility will be broken in the sense
> that the new interface will not be compatible with the old interface.
> No, backwards-compatibility will not be broken in the sense that the
> old API is absent or malfunctioning. As I *have* said, I imagine there
> to be an option (default true) to expose both variants. With default
> settings, I want the loader to be at the very least mostly
> plug-'n'-play with existing platform drivers and OS loaders from the
> real world. "Mostly" can be clarified further once we have a detailed
> plan on the changes (and responses to e.g. malformed binary issues
> with iPXE and GNU-EFI).
>
> Best regards,
> Marvin
>
> On 08.04.21 11:26, Michael Brown wrote:

>>> The same is true for the *2_PROTOCOL instances, I do not see how you
>>> distinct between them. Could you elaborate, please?
>>
>> The distinction is very straightforward.  If you plan to *remove*
>> support for the older protocols, then you by definition place a
>> burden on all externally maintained code to support both protocols.
>> If the older protocol will continue to be supported then no such
>> burden is created.
>>
>> This is why I am asking you if your proposed changes require
>> *breaking* backwards compatibility.  You still haven't answered this
>> key question.

>>> I am aware, but actually it's not far from it nowadays. In contrast
>>> to the days of Aptio IV, I believe all big vendors maintain forks of
>>> EDK II. I know the fork nature taints the issue, but also see last
>>> quote comment.
>>
>> This is empirically not true.  Buy a selection of devices in the
>> wild, and you'll find a huge amount of non-EDK2 code on them.

It is not about "how much" is EDK II code, but that it is the core. We
are talking about things like the dispatcher, I have not ever seen it
modified "lately" (Gigabyte modded AMI CORE_PEI and CORE_DXE with their
SIO code in Z77, but you get the idea...). I am very well aware of
issues with "user-facing" things such as input.

View/Reply Online (#73837): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/73837
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io