[edk2-devel] separate OVMF binary for TDX? [was: OvmfPkg: Reserve the Secrets and Cpuid page for the SEV-SNP guest]

James Bottomley jejb at linux.ibm.com
Mon Apr 12 14:33:52 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-04-12 at 11:54 +0000, Yao, Jiewen wrote:
> I totally agree with you that from security perspective, the best
> idea to isolate AMD SEV/Intel TDX from standard OVMF.

There's a big difference between building tuned binaries and separating
the subsystems entirely.  Ideally we don't want customers running
images to have to build them differently for Intel or AMD (a bit like
how QEMU/KVM hide the VM differences from users), and Confidential
Computing shares a huge amount of interface similarity, so we wouldn't
want that separated.  I think the rule should be that if both Intel and
AMD expose a feature in different ways, OVMF tries to expose a uniform
API for that feature over two differing implementations.

> Do you want to propose move AMD SEV support to another SEC?

You mean have an entirely separate SEC for AMD, OVMF and Intel?  I
really wouldn't do that: much that's in the SEC: page table setup,
memory mapping and decompression is common to all of them.  This all
follows for a lot of the components.

To build separate binaries, we just need separate dsc and fdf files.
Then I think the goal would be to share as much as possible to avoid
duplicating the maintenance and possibly diverging the user API.

James

View/Reply Online (#73960): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/73960
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io