[edk2-devel] VirtIO Sound Driver (GSoC 2021)

Ethin Probst harlydavidsen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 16:53:23 UTC 2021

Would it be possible for us to conduct discussion on the UEFI talkbox?
I don't mind using email, but things could definitely get moving
quicker over there (though its not a requirement obviously).

Here's how I generally envision the driver functioning:

1. Firmware/platform code calls InitaudioOutput() or something like
it. This function scans the PCIe bus and scans for one of the
following:
- Vendor ID 0x1AF4, device ID 0x1059: VirtIO sound device
- PCI class 0x0C, subclass 0x03, program interface 0x30 or 0x40: for
USB audio interface (I'm only thinking of targeting XHCI and USB 4,
and not UHCI, OHCI or EHCI). But maybe EDK2 will take that out of my
hands. If so, it will make things easier.
- For USB audio devices I'm not quite sure what to look for; I'm
definitely unused to USB.
2. If any of the above cases are found, appropriate driver
initialization occurs. Since for the time being I am solely focusing
on VirtIO sound devices, the VirtIO general initialization sequence
will occur as outlined in sec. 3 of the VirtIO specification available
at https://www.kraxel.org/virtio/virtio-v1.1-cs01-sound-v7.html.
As for actual protocol exposure that would be spec-worthy, for
EFI_AUDIO_OUTPUT_PROTOCOL, I'm not quite sure what to expose. VirtIO
is rather simple: there's a buffer for sending and receiving audio
data in PCM streams. So for that we could expose a Reset(),
RemapJack(), GetJackConfig(), GetPcmConfig(), SetPcmParams(),
Prepare(), Release(), Start(), and Stop() function for the
corresponding request types VIRTIO_SND_R_JACK_GET_CONFIG,
VIRTIO_SND_R_JACK_REMAP, VIRTIO_SND_R_PCM_GET_CONFIG,
VIRTIO_SND_R_PCM_SET_PARAMS, VIRTIO_SND_R_PCM_PREPARE,
VIRTIO_SND_R_PCM_RELEASE, VIRTIO_SND_R_PCM_START, and
VIRTIO_SND_R_PCM_STOP control requests. However, for HDA things are a
lot more complex, so I'm not sure how that should work.
For VirtIO -- which is what I'll focus on for now -- everything is
described, in excellent detail, in sec. 5.14 of the above-linked
document. What are your guys's thoughts thus far and how should
everything be mapped to UEFI interfaces?

--
Signed,
Ethin D. Probst

View/Reply Online (#74057): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/74057