[edk2-devel] VirtIO Sound Driver (GSoC 2021)

Michael D Kinney michael.d.kinney at intel.com
Wed Apr 14 22:30:55 UTC 2021

Hi Ethin,

Most UEFI Drivers do use polling.

If it is a blocking I/O operation the UEFI Driver waits for completion.  Typically by polling a status register until the I/O is complete and then return status.

If it is a non-blocking I/O Operation, then the UEFI Driver can create a timer event to periodically check the completion status.

Non-blocking APIs may also use an event to know when the I/O operation is completed and this can be used with the CheckEvent() service to poll for event completion.

These concepts are discussed in the UEFI Driver Writer's Guide.

https://tianocore-docs.github.io/edk2-UefiDriverWritersGuide/draft/edk2-UefiDriverWritersGuide-draft.pdf

Specifically for audio.  If there is an audio playback buffer that will take some time to send,
the Audio Protocol would likely define a non-blocking interface to start playback.  You may need
an event that is signaled when more audio data is needed or when the playback is complete.  You
will need to think about the consumer of the Audio Protocol and how it will interact with the
Audio Protocol and if the consumer also needs to do other activities while audio is playing or
if it is ok for the consumer to wait until the audio playback is completed.

Mike

View/Reply Online (#74104): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/74104
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io