[edk2-devel] VirtIO Sound Driver (GSoC 2021)

Marvin Häuser mhaeuser at posteo.de
Sun Apr 18 19:22:48 UTC 2021

On 18.04.21 21:11, Marvin Häuser wrote:
> On 18.04.21 17:22, Andrew Fish via groups.io wrote:

>> We are not using EFI to listen to music in the background. Any audio
>> being played is part of a UI element and there might be
>> synchronization requirements.
>
> Maybe I communicated that wrong, I'm not asking because I don't know
> what audio is used for, I am saying ideally there is a written-down
> list of usage requirements before the protocol is designed, because
> that is what the design targets. The details should follow the needs.
>

>> For example playing a boot bong on boot you want that to be
>> asynchronous as you don’t want to delay boot to play the sound, but
>> you may want to chose to gate some UI elements on the boot bong
>> completing. If you are building a menu UI that is accessible you may
>> need to synchronize playback with UI update, but you may not want to
>> make the slow sound playback blocking as you can get other UI work
>> done in parallel.
>>
>> The overhead for a caller making an async call is not much [1], but
>> not having the capability could really restrict the API for its
>> intended use. I’d also point out we picked the same pattern as the
>> async BlockIO and there is something to said for having consistency
>> in the UEFI Spec and have similar APIs work in similar ways.

Sorry a lot of the spam, but I somehow missed the "consistency" point.
Sorry, but there seems to be no real consistency. Block I/O and network
things generally use the token event method (what is suggested here),
while USB, Bluetooth, and such generally pass a callback function
directly (not necessarily what I suggest, as I don't know the full
requirements, but certainly one way).

Best regards,
Marvin

View/Reply Online (#74234): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/74234