[edk2-devel] separate OVMF binary for TDX? [was: OvmfPkg: Reserve the Secrets and Cpuid page for the SEV-SNP guest]

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Thu Apr 22 14:20:12 UTC 2021

On 04/21/21 19:07, Erdem Aktas wrote:
> Hi Laszlo,
>
> I am sorry to hear that it sounded like we are dictating a certain
> approach. Although I can see why it sounded that way, it certainly was not
> my intention.
> We want to work with the EDK2 community to have a solution that is
> beneficial for everyone and we appreciate the inputs that we got from you
> and Paolo.  Code quality is always a high priority for us. Therefore, if,
> at some point, things get too hacky to impact the
> quality/maintainability of the upstream code, we will consider making
> adjustments on our side.
>
> With the current discussion, I was just trying to describe our use case and
> the importance of having a single binary where there is no absolute need
> for architectural differences. As far as I know, the only problematic area
> is modifying the reset vector to be compatible with TDX and it seems like
> Intel has a solution for it without impacting the overall quality of the
> upstream code. I just want to reiterate that we are open for discussion and
> what we ask should not be considered "at all cost" and please let us know
> that if edk2 community/maintainers are still thinking that what Intel is
> proposing is not feasible.

OK.

It's not lost on me that we're talking about ~3 instructions.

Let's keep a close eye on further "polymorphisms" that would require hacks.

>>> Can Google at least propose a designated reviewer ("R") for the
>>> "OvmfPkg: Confidential Computing" section of "Maintainers.txt", in a
> patch?
> Sure I would be happy too.

Yes, please do that. It can be included in the TDX patch set from Min Xu
that modifies the beginning of reset vector as discussed above.

Thanks!
Laszlo

View/Reply Online (#74370): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/74370
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io