[edk2-devel] separate OVMF binary for TDX? [was: OvmfPkg: Reserve the Secrets and Cpuid page for the SEV-SNP guest]

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 07:59:00 UTC 2021

On 15/04/21 01:34, Erdem Aktas wrote:
> We do not want to generate different binaries for AMD, Intel, Intel
> with TDX, AMD with SEV/SNP etc

My question is why the user would want a single binary for VMs with and
without TDX/SNP.  I know there is attestation, but why would you even
want the _possibility_ that your guest starts running without TDX or SNP
protection, and only find out later via attestation?

For a similar reason, OVMF already supports shipping a binary that fails
to boot if SMM is not available to the firmware, because then secure
boot would be trivially circumvented.

I can understand having a single binary for both TDX or SNP.  That's not
a problem since you can set up the SEV startup VMSA to 32-bit protected
mode just like TDX wants.

> therefore we were expecting the TDX
> changes to be part of the upstream code.

Having 1 or more binaries should be unrelated to the changes being
upstream (or more likely, I am misunderstanding you).

Thanks,

Paolo

View/Reply Online (#74118): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/74118
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io