[edk2-devel] ArmVirt and Self-Updating Code

Marvin Häuser mhaeuser at posteo.de
Sun Aug 1 21:40:12 UTC 2021

01.08.2021 18:33:47 Ard Biesheuvel <ardb at kernel.org>:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 at 21:08, Marvin Häuser <mhaeuser at posteo.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 23.07.21 16:34, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

>>> The RELA section is not converted into PE/COFF relocations. This
>>> would
>>> not achieve a lot, given that no prior PE/COFF loader exists to
>>> process them. There is a snippet of asm code in the startup code that
>>> processes the R_AARCH64_RELATIVE relocation entries before calling
>>> into C code.
>>
>> I searched for said ASM code till my fingers fell asleep and at last
>> found this:
>> https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/commit/b16fd231f6d8124fa05a0f086840934b8709faf9#diff-3d563cc4775c7720900f4895bf619eed06291044aaa277fcc57eddc7618351a1L12-R148
>>
>> If I understand the commit message correctly, it is basically "pray
>> the
>> C code does not use globals at all", which is fair enough, so maybe I
>> should document this in my proposed new library? I trust that this is
>> enough of a constraint for both ARM and AArch64, because I do not know
>> them at all.
>>

> The C code can use globals, but not global pointer variables. But you
> are right, this is not very robust at all.

Right... Will document for my PE library.

>> What worries me is that StandaloneMmCore has no such ASM entry point
>> at
>> all and instead it's just executing C directly. Also, it is not passed
>> the "-fno-jump-tables" flag that is commented to be important in the
>> commit linked above.
>>

> This is because the StandaloneMmCore is built with -fpie, which
> already implies -fno-jump-tables, although I suppose this may not
> offer complete coverage for BASE libraries that are pulled into the
> link.

Ah okay, thanks. Out of curiosity of how ARM implements PIE, and how
StMmCore self-relocation can work *after* the PE/COFF section
permissions have been applied with .got merged into .text (i.e.
read-only), I checked the GCC5 "DLL" with readelf and found many
relocations into the .text section. I have no idea how any of this
works, and no idea where to find out, but as it apparently does, I might
just update the PE calls and call it a day. I cannot test anything
either because there is no QEMU code for StMmCore I can find. :(

Thanks for your tireless replies!

Best regards,
Marvin

View/Reply Online (#78474): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/78474