[edk2-devel] "StdLibPkg" branch on edk2-staging

Kilian Kegel KILIAN_KEGEL at OUTLOOK.COM
Thu Aug 5 04:14:43 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I plan to come back with the https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-staging/tree/CdePkg end of this year
and to unroll the source code of fundamental parts of my C Library and discuss that along
the 30. anniversary of “The C Book” https://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/chapter9

Additionally I will discuss the details you need to know:

  1.  about the differences C90/C95/C99 in language and library
  2.  how to get HOSTED ENVIRONMENT for UEFI POST drivers
  3.  how to get Intel/AMD TimeStampCounter based precise time calibration - platform,

processor  and chipset independent for x86 UEFI platforms

  1.  how to arrange space optimization for UEFI FW as an embedded platform
  2.  how to test and verify the compatibility of a Standard C Library implementation,

since “CI“ won’t help at all in this regards

  1.  how to implement a printf-core that performs narrow and wide mode at once for space optimization
  2.  how to implement a scanf-core that performs narrow and wide mode at once for space optimization
  3.  how to implement realloc() sub-allocator on UEFI memory management functions for PEI and DXE

Note: If UEFI is going to provide Standard-C-Functions for all drivers, you will have soon e.g. “sprintf()”
in all drivers. The amount of code for a proper sprintf() + scanf() + wscanf() + strtok() + wcstok() + malloc() … implementation
that is not tailored for embedded FW, will overrun the BIOS FLASH space instantly.
I consider commercial BIOS implementations that runs really many drivers (> 100) to start a platform.

Currently I implement more feature to CdePkg/Torito C Library:

  1.  Improve UEFI driver cross development for VisualStudio and EDK2
  2.  substitution of “DEBUG” traces by CdePkg-traces

that allows usage of predefined DEBUG-messages to run in a CdePkg-based driver.

Sole purpose is to have DEBUG/RELEASE mode _NOT_ globally, but locally to get

trace messages selectively for specific drivers only.

(to speed up POST with traces, that consumes a significant amount of time during

working hours of a BIOS developer)

  1.  add SMM support.

Shell, DXE, PEI (pre and post memory) is already available for 2 years:
https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/51562?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,CdePkg,20,2,0,65191785

  1.  get ACPICA tools https://acpica.org/ to UEFI Shell

I need to implement some non-standard / Microsoft specific C functions

to get that running for Andrew Fish.

That time links from https://github.com/KilianKegel are under construction and are
not necessarily  up-to-date.
Same for https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-staging/tree/CdePkg that is not used for long …

But https://github.com/KilianKegel/CdePkg.git driver set and sample set runs instantly
on the latest BIOS of a commercial vendor on a Intel IOTG TGL-H (Tiger Lake H) board using the Microsoft
build environment.

@Tim: I’d really appreciate if CdePkg could hold additionally Insyde BIOS support. Regrettably
I do not have access to Insyde source code.

@Maciej
I can not see any “wide” functions here. https://github.com/DevSolar/pdclib<https://github.com/DevSolar/pdclib%20from%20WCHAR.H>
from WCHAR.H or WCTYPE.H. That is a serious limitation in the UEFI environment.

To create UEFI-Shell programs for Personal Computers this link can be used.
https://github.com/KilianKegel/Visual-ANSI-C-for-UEFI-Shell#visual-ansi-c-for-uefi-shell

Best regards,
Kilian