[edk2-devel] [edk2-platforms] [BUG] Some Features/Intel PCDs include all the duplicate modules

Benjamin Doron benjamin.doron00 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 18:40:07 UTC 2021

Hi all,
As I noted in a previous patch ( https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-platforms/commit/109380a7a8667b56b5495eda4d06d2bf5f353f82 ) , there is a bug in AcpiDebugFeaturePkg where if both the DXE and SMM modules are included, two ACPI tables will be installed with colliding definitions. The default case when enabling the feature is to include both versions.

I have a patch to retrieve the DXE instance's buffer into the SMM module for the SW SMI to use, but this doesn't work yet as gEfiSmmEndOfDxeProtocolGuid executes before gEfiEndOfDxeEventGroupGuid, so the buffer has not yet been allocated. However, it seems as though these modules may be designed to work independently: the DXE version works now that there aren't duplicate ACPI tables. Perhaps the SMM version also worked originally.

There is a similar issue in UserAuthFeaturePkg, where UserAuthenticationDxe and UserAuthentication2Dxe seem to largely perform the same functions (but I may not have looked closely enough), but UserAuthentication2Dxe uses UserPasswordLib rather than UserAuthenticationDxePassword.c. Again, both modules are included by default when the PCD is enabled, and the result is that two forms are installed into UiApp.

Are AcpiDebugDxe/AcpiDebugSmm and UserAuthenticationDxe/UserAuthentication2Dxe supposed to be used separately? If so, should I submit a patch to enable only one version being included by *Pkg/Include/*.fdf?

Regards,
Benjamin

View/Reply Online (#79913): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/79913
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io