[edk2-devel] chocolatey.org instability [was: OvmfPkg/PlatformCI/.azurepiplines: Use stable release of QEMU]

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 09:43:47 UTC 2021

On 11/25/20 17:23, Michael D Kinney wrote:
> Hi Phillippe,
>
> We use choco command to install qemu for Windows, and as of this morning, the 20201124
> release has not been published on choco.
>
> 	https://chocolatey.org/packages/Qemu
>
> Once it is published on choco, we can test it and if it passes, we can revert this
> change and resume using the latest qemu release.

Hijacking the thread a little --
<https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/pull/1319> keeps failing because
chocolatey.org keeps returning "(520) Origin Error" to the

  choco install qemu --version=2020.08.14

command.

Note that this particular version of the QEMU "choco" package still exists:

  https://chocolatey.org/packages/Qemu/2020.08.14

Can we make ourselves independent of "chocolatey.org" somehow? Every
such external dependency can block all merges. Perhaps we should create
another repository under the tianocore organization on github, and keep
Windows binaries for QEMU there.

I'm quite displeased with the stability issues we've recently seen in
the edk2 CI environment recently, and (AFAICT) none of those have been
our fault. What's *really* annoying is that, when a maintainer wants to
work around such an env issue, to proceed with a particular merge, the
maintainer gets to post a separate patch to edk2-devel first, and wait
for review. That means a possibly *multi-day* delay for merging an
already reviewed patch series. This is terrible.

View/Reply Online (#70038): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/70038
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io