[edk2-devel] [Patch V3 2/2] MdeModulePkg/Bus/Pci/PciBusDxe: Support PCIe Resizable BAR Capability

Ni, Ray ray.ni at intel.com
Tue Jan 12 02:28:12 UTC 2021

> > It seems like the max BAR size is selected first, but if there's a
> > "resource conflict" (running out of a particular resource type
> > aperture), then the minimum BAR size is selected. I don't know what
> > set of devices and/or resizable BARs this logic applies to, if there
> > are multiple of them.

> > Per the PCIe specification (revision 5.0, version 0.9) 7.8.6:
> >
> >   Software determines, through a proprietary mechanism, what the
> >   optimal size is for the resource, and programs that size via the BAR
> >   Size field of the Resizable BAR Control register.
> >
> > Furthermore, Table 7-114 defines the Bar Size field of the control
> > register stating:
> >
> >   The default value of this field is equal to the default size of the
> >   address space that the BAR resource is requesting via the BAR's
> >   read-only bits.
> >
> > Therefore the maximum size is not necessarily optimal, nor should the
> > minimum size be considered the default.  In fact, [we] tested various
> > handoff BAR sizes for [a particular] GPU and found that Windows didn't
> > like the maximum BAR size.
> >
> > Elsewhere in the discussion [1] the AMD author of the kernel support
> > for resizeable BARs indicates that FPGA devices might implement the
> > REBAR capability as part of their standard PCI wrapper ([our]
> > interpretation), but the BAR usage would be determined by the actual
> > bitstream written to the device, therefore there might be a full
> > bitmask for the BAR sizes supported by the device.
> >
> > [1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2021-January/thread.html
> >
> > It would certainly make sense for the firmware to take REBAR
> > capabilities into account when sizing bridge apertures, but to
> > generically enable extended BAR sizes would make lots of assumptions
> > about the device usage and compatibility.
> >
> > [...] At least for GPUs the expectation would be a default, smaller
> > compatibility size expanding to some representation that allows direct
> > DMA to the entire memory of the card.
>
> So this patch should either be reverted; or minimally, the default value
> of "PcdPcieResizableBarSupport" should be set to FALSE, as the policy
> for BAR sizing doesn't look robust or portable.
>

> General request for the future: if you implement some kind of policy in
> core edk2, please at least *document* the policy somewhere. It's
> unacceptable to have to decipher the source code for such a possibly
> impactful change in the core. There is no need for a wiki page or an
> RFC, but a sane bugzilla ticket and a sane commit message are required.
>
> (The documentation of the PCD in the "MdeModulePkg.dec" file is
> unsatisfactory too, and the UNI file has not been updated at all.)

Your understanding is correct. Original idea is to let platform supply the policy about
what the optimal BAR size is for each resizable BAR.
The current implementation is a try to avoid asking platform code for such policy because
we thought it's a burden for platform to supply the policy data.

I agree that we set the PCD default value as disabled and after a period of study, we will
understand whether a platform policy is really needed.

Thanks,
Ray

View/Reply Online (#70133): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/70133
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io