[edk2-devel] Questions/doubts about UFS device on UEFI

Nate DeSimone nathaniel.l.desimone at intel.com
Wed Jan 27 01:19:55 UTC 2021

Hi Renan,

The UEFI driver model uses a stack of several modular DXE drivers to translate from lower level to higher level interfaces. As a baseline reference, this is what the driver stack would look like for a UFS device on an Intel SoC:

       +--------------------------+

       | EFI_BLOCK_IO(2)_PROTOCOL | <-- Represents a generic Hard Drive

       +--------------------------+

             *-------------*

             | ScsiDiskDxe |

             *-------------*

         +----------------------+

         | EFI_SCSI_IO_PROTOCOL | <-- Represents a SCSI device on a SCSI Bus

         +----------------------+

             *------------*

             | ScsiBusDxe |

             *------------*

    +---------------------------------+

    | EFI_EXT_SCSI_PASS_THRU_PROTOCOL | <-- Represents a SCSI HBA (Host-Bus Adapter)

    +---------------------------------+

           *----------------*

           | UfsPassThruDxe |

           *----------------*

   +----------------------------------+

   | EFI_UFS_HOST_CONTROLLER_PROTOCOL | <-- Represents a UFS Controller

   +----------------------------------+

             *-------------*

             | UfsPciHcDxe |

             *-------------*

          +---------------------+

          | EFI_PCI_IO_PROTOCOL | <-- Represents a PCI device on a PCI bus

          +---------------------+

              *-----------*

              | PciBusDxe |

              *-----------*

    +---------------------------------+

    +---------------------------------+

*---------------------------------------*

         | UefiCpuPkg/CpuIo2Dxe | <-- The only x86 specific driver in this stack

The important thing to note about this diagram is that the UfsPciHcDxe device driver that is present in MdeModulePkg can only be used for UFS controllers that the SoC exposes as a PCI bus attached UFS controller. If the SoC exposes the UFS controller as a PCI device, this driver should work. However, if the SoC does not expose the UFS controller as a PCI device, then a SoC specific driver will be required to produce a device handle with an instance of EFI_UFS_HOST_CONTROLLER_PROTOCOL. You mentioned that no PCI devices with class 01h and subclass 09h exist on this SoC, which means that a SoC specific driver is needed.

After the EFI_UFS_HOST_CONTROLLER_PROTOCOL instance is created, everything above EFI_UFS_HOST_CONTROLLER_PROTOCOL in the diagram above (including UfsPassThruDxe) will work without code change. The drivers below EFI_UFS_HOST_CONTROLLER_PROTOCOL will obviously be different.

Hope that Helps,

Nate