[edk2-devel] EFIFileLib status, removal, and replacement

Andrew Fish via groups.io afish=apple.com at groups.io
Thu Jul 15 16:45:55 UTC 2021

> On Jul 15, 2021, at 1:06 AM, Winz <wincent6394 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I noticed that EFIFileLib no longer appear on the latest version of edk2.
> Does anyone know why it was removed?

It got removed since it is obsolete. I wrote it a long time ago as part of the Embedded Boot Loader (EBL). The EBL was a proof of concept I wrote in something like 2007 to show an EFI system could have a smaller footprint like uBoot. The EFIFileLib uses the device name (volume name) scheme of the EBL This scheme was unique to the EBL. For example the fs3: volume name in the EFIFileLib is not the same as the volume names in the UEFI Shell.

The EBL is obsolete and got replaced by the UEFI Shell. I think EFIFileLib ended up getting used in other places so it stayed around longer.

Supported Device Names:
A0x1234:0x12 - A memory buffer starting at address 0x1234 for 0x12 bytes
l1:          - EFI LoadFile device one.
B0:          - EFI BlockIo zero.
fs3:         - EFI Simple File System device 3
Fv2:         - EFI Firmware VOlume device 2
10.0.1.102:  - TFTP service IP followed by the file name

> Also, what is the designated replacement library?

What problem are you trying to solve? There are UEFI Shell libs for writing UEFI Shell applications, etc.

> Is it okay for me to maintain a local copy and use it?

As long as you understand the caveats with he device (volume) names.

Feel free to ask questions on the mailing list about how it works:
https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/UDK2017/EmbeddedPkg/Library/EfiFileLib/EfiFileLib.c

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

View/Reply Online (#77814): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/77814