[edk2-devel] ArmVirt and Self-Updating Code

Ard Biesheuvel ardb at kernel.org
Fri Jul 23 14:09:32 UTC 2021

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 at 12:47, Marvin Häuser <mhaeuser at posteo.de> wrote:

> On 23.07.21 12:13, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

Correct. And this works really well for shared libraries, where all
text and data sections can be shared between processes, as they will
not be modified by the loader. All locations targeted by relocations
will be nicely lumped together in the GOT.

However, for bare metal style programs, there is no sharing, and there
is no advantage to lumping anything together. It is much better to use
relative references where possible, and simply apply relocations
wherever needed across the text and data sections,

> If I understood the process right, but the term (GOT) is wrong, sorry,
> that is what I gathered from the docs. :)
> I have a x86 + PE background, so ARM + ELF is a bit of a learning curve...

The GOT is a special data structure used for implicit variable
accesses, i.e., global vars used in the code. Statically initialized
pointer variables are the other category, which are not code, and for
which the same considerations do not apply, given that the right value
simply needs to be stored in the variable before the program starts.

> > For instance, a statically initialized pointer always carries an
> > absolute address, and so it always needs an entry in the RELA table
> >
> > E.g.,
> >
> > int foo = 10; // external linkage
> > static int *bar = &foo;
> >
> > In this case, there is no way to use relative addressing because the
> > address of foo is taken at build time.
> >
> > However, if bar would be something like
> >
> > static int *bar() { return &foo; }
> >
> > the address is only taken at runtime, and the compiler can use a
> > relative reference instead, and no RELA entry is needed. With a GOT,
> > we force the compiler to allocate a variable that holds the absolute
> > address, which we would prefer to avoid.
>
> And this is not forced by whatever table -fpie uses, as per my
> understanding above?

The selection of 'code model' as it is called is controlled by GCC's
-mcmodel= argument, which defaults to 'small' on AArch64, regardless
of whether you use PIC/PIE or not.

View/Reply Online (#78134): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/78134
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io