[edk2-devel] [RFC] MemoryProtectionLib for Dynamic Memory Guard Settings

Sean spbrogan at outlook.com
Fri Jul 30 18:42:23 UTC 2021

Jiewen,

**Slight rant**

I agree with libraries as an effective abstraction method.  But I think
there needs to be a broad discussion about the order of preference for
methods of abstraction.  Today the edk2 code base is a mix and often
there are numerous methods abstracting the same thing which leads to
confusion, misconfiguration, and error.

In the UEFI specification we have PPIs/Protocols/Events for functional
abstraction.  We have variables, guided config tables, and HII for data
abstraction.

In the PI specification we add HOBs and PCDs for data abstractions.

Finally, in EDKII we add the library class concept and leverage it
heavily for arch, phase, and platform/behavioral abstractions.

Without clear guidance for how and when to use the above it is hard to
keep code being developed by the larger community consistent.

**End**

I was leaning towards something closer to

 >> Option 1:
https://github.com/TaylorBeebe/edk2/tree/memory_protection_lib_2

the HOB method and internally as we develop more code we are preferring
HOB and data abstractions more than functional abstraction.  Data
abstractions can be used to control functional differences as well if
needed.  Data abstractions allow for easier validation and support
diverse code environments.  For example standalone MM and
payloadpkg/payload concepts.  Finally, data abstractions break the need
for a monolithic code base.   But as you can see in option 1 it actually
uses a library class abstraction as well because no one wants to write
the same code over and over again to get the HOB.  The contract of the
library is just data but it still requires library mappings.  Maybe
these types of libraries need to be treated differently.

Anyway it would be great to hear from other members of the community
around not just the memory protections RFC (this RFC) but around
preferences for abstraction techniques (pro/con).  If an actual
discussion starts it could move to design meeting.

Thanks
Sean

View/Reply Online (#78452): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/78452
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io