[edk2-devel] VirtIO sound device in qemu?

Leif Lindholm leif at nuviainc.com
Tue Jun 8 20:25:06 UTC 2021

Hi Ethin,

Adapting and overcoming is very much the point of GSoC.
The purpose of this project was always to bring portable audio support
to EDK2, and longer-term the UEFI specification. Virtio was just the
ideal means to that end.

If it turns out not being the ideal way, that's just the way it is.
*But*, I want to point out that there is no reason why we couldn't
build this on top of a not-yet-upstream QEMU patchset - and help out
by providing an eager real consumer for it.
The virtio-snd RFC has been sent out, and it is very unlikely that it
will not end up being merged, if in a modified form from what the
first proof-of-concept looked like. Working with it would give you the
opportunity to influence that implementation, as well as the
virtio-snd standard.

*However*, if the state of the QEMU virtio-snd RFC is not one that
lends itself to basing other work on, then QEMU's usb-audio support is
a close second - that should also be portable to other
If we pick that route, you can always come back to virtio a bit later
if you make good progress on USB Audio Device Class 1.0.

/
    Leif

View/Reply Online (#76235): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/76235
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io