[edk2-devel] Question about Smm code / StandaloneMmPkg

Kun Qin kun.q at outlook.com
Fri Mar 5 02:22:55 UTC 2021

Hi Tiger,

Our team has been sending patches to the community to cover Standalone MM driver to support x86 arch recently by believing that Standalone MM is the direction we are moving to in the long term.

From our experience so far, the Standalone MM core infrastructure is arch independent and capable of operations such as dispatching MM drivers and managing memory as is. What really is missing would be the StandaloneMmCpu and an IPL that can install MM foundation for x86 arch. But I am unaware of any public implementation for these 2 components at this moment. As I joined this Standalone MM journey relatively recently, maybe other community members will have more information in that regards.

Generally from our perspective, we are taking Standalone Mm model as an opportunity to provide better isolation between MM and non-MM environment, since this model is providing cleaner boundary inside MM without convoluted access to non-MM (mostly DXE) environment. If x86 SMM core code will ever be added to Standalone MM implemation, I would hope we do not lose advantage on that specific point.

Thanks,
Kun