[edk2-devel] GSoC 2021 (MinPlatform, Ext2, ACPICA, etc) (please ignore if duplicate)

Pedro Falcato pedro.falcato at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 17:15:03 UTC 2021

Hi everyone!

I'm Pedro Falcato, a student from FCT Nova in Lisbon, Portugal. I've gotten a bunch of experience over the years with C/C++, x86 in general and UEFI/ACPI with my hobby OS/kernel development, and I've got to say, I'm quite interested in some of the projects you've got here. Please ignore this email if it's a duplicate, since I tried sending an email directly to the mailing list's email address but that doesn't seem to work.

So, a few questions:

1) What entails building a MinPlatform board port for any board whatsoever? I've seen Kaaira wants to do the Qemu port, I would love to do something like that but for the RPi or some real motherboard, but I fear it might be too difficult?

2) How much knowledge of EFI firmware internals do you need? With my EFI bootloader development over the years I already have a firm hand on how the external-facing API looks like, but I have to say I haven't really read the parts of the spec that describe the driver and internal APIs, so to speak.

3) Isn't there already an ACPICA port for UEFI environments? What stops us from going one step further and also build the rest of the "user-space" utilities?

4) How's the status of the ext2 driver? How different do Tianocore filesystem implementations look from the standard-ish kernel interfaces you can see in Linux, *BSD, etc? I'm also quite interested in this one because I've written a read/write ext2 driver before, so the concepts are kind-of fresh in my head.

I hope you folks can answer my questions so I can figure out what project I want to work on! :)

Looking forward to working in Tianocore!

View/Reply Online (#72730): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/72730
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io