Re: 回复: [edk2-devel] GSoC 2021 Qemu OpenBoardPkg Project

Oram, Isaac W isaac.w.oram at intel.com
Fri May 21 03:38:53 UTC 2021

I think we should patch first and move to a common location later.

Looking at some of your changes and comments, I have these comments:

  *   Rather than commenting out things you don’t need in the build, our thinking was to allow some unnecessary building in the interest of reducing porting complexity.  It doesn’t really matter if you don’t need the PciCf8 library as long as it builds fine.
  *   If you need the PciLib|MdePkg/Library/BasePciLibPciExpress/BasePciLibPciExpress.inf Instead of the PciLib|MdePkg/Library/BasePciLibCf8/BasePciLibCf8.inf, you can just override it in your DSC file after you have included the CoreCommonLib.dsc.  This is to reduce the number of includes that a typical board port needs to deal with correctly, but allow fine tuning and optimization later.
  *   Rather than commenting out or adding !if modifications, you can set the feature PCD to false in your DSC file before including the file.  We are allowed to have multiple sections and the tools do a good job of applying them and aggregating them in sensible ways.  For example:
#!if gMinPlatformPkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdPerformanceEnable == TRUE
#  PerformanceLib|MdeModulePkg/Library/PeiPerformanceLib/PeiPerformanceLib.inf
#!endif

     *   If you just have:
[PcdsFeatureFlag]
  #
  # MinPlatform control flags
  #
  gMinPlatformPkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdStopAfterDebugInit     |FALSE
  gMinPlatformPkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdStopAfterMemInit       |FALSE
  gMinPlatformPkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdBootToShellOnly        |FALSE
  gMinPlatformPkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdUefiSecureBootEnable   |FALSE
  gMinPlatformPkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdTpm2Enable             |FALSE
  gMinPlatformPkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdSmiHandlerProfileEnable|TRUE
  gMinPlatformPkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdPerformanceEnable      |FALSE
…
!include $(PLATFORM_PACKAGE)/Include/Dsc/CoreCommonLib.dsc

     *   Then you should get the same result you want.

This is useful feedback and we should think about how we want to enable optimization (stage 7) in a reasonable way.  We haven’t gotten that far into the optimization details as we wanted to get the basics worked out, but it might very much make sense to make more of these things controlled by MinPlatform Arch defined feature flags.  Or to move to Advanced Features.  And some things we haven’t cleaned up yet.  We still have USB in common includes, but those drivers should move to an Advanced Feature.  The main thing is we want intelligent default behavior so new board porting people can get productive fast without having to know all these edk2 special features.  Then as they get things working, they can start to take advantage of more edk2 and UEFI capabilities as they learn them.  Eventually hitting an optimization phase where common things can be quickly stripped out if not needed.  I hadn’t thought much about build optimization, but I think that this is reasonable to include in scope.

Looking at your feedback/challenges, I see a few options:

·         Add more MinPlatform Arch defined feature flags for PCI, SMM, etc.

·         Add Advanced Features for them

·         Add “Core System Design” includes.  E.G. one for x86, one for QEMU, one for RISKV, etc.  I am not sure how many of these we would need.

Thoughts and preferences?  I think that we need to keep in mind KISS for new board ports and new users.

The checklists should be “Board Porting Activity Checklist” and unfortunately for you both, you are making the first reference QemuOpenBoardPkg and boards and that is a little more involved than making derivatives, which is what those checklists are going to help the most.

Regards,
Isaac