[edk2-devel] MinPlatform Board port (GSoC 2021)

Benjamin Doron benjamin.doron00 at gmail.com
Sat May 22 15:32:13 UTC 2021

Hi Isaac,
Thanks for the document. I've seen the main MinPlatform document before, which also outlines control flow, but this shows a quick overview of it all. I'll look for the MinPlatform porting training links too. Thanks.

> I would also make sure that you have the board information you need.
> Whatever datasheets and such that are required.
>

> In addition to the Minimum Platform spec, I like to have the UEFI Spec and
> the UEFI Platform Initialization arch specs handy for reference.  ACPI
> too.
>

> That gives you the HW and SW documents.  And you have mentors and the
> mailing list for a network of experts.  Those plus hardware and tools
> should set you up.  Minimum tools capabilities should be flash programming
> and serial debug.

I have the schematics, boardview and the datasheets that became relevant to porting (some I was unable to find, mainly regarding PCIe devices). While this board may have a working serial pad, it would be difficult to access and likely requires soldering (which I cannot do).

I planned to skip directly to stage 4 (OS), or at least 3 (shell). I should have the required board knowledge from my coreboot port. For debug logs, I think the serial port library which logs Status Codes (which will be stored in memory) could be a good fit. For early problems in PEI, I see there is a serial port library which logs to SPI flash. If these fail here, I'll have to hope the USB3 debugging feature will work.

> I will defer to Nate on communication recommendations as all the GSoC
> projects will be working those out.  And I have to admit I didn’t read the
> GSoC documentation thoroughly yet.

Okay, not a problem.

Nice to meet you!

Best regards,