[EnMasse] generated artifacts

Ulf Lilleengen ulilleen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 10 19:57:19 UTC 2017

On 04/10/2017 09:41 PM, Rob Cernich wrote:
>> Here is a description of the enmasse CI:
>> https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/tree/master/documentation/ci
>>
>> It basically does build & test -> pushes to docker hub -> triggers
>> systemtests which does a openshift deployment with enmasse + tests. I
>> would prefer if we could keep the upstream community bits built and
>> relased using travis + github.
>
> Given that we're talking about doing builds for the artifacts going into the images, I think it would be fine to use jenkins to build the artifacts used within the images (e.g. the patched versions of qpid/proton).  This would create a clean separation between the images and the artifacts being installed in the images (which, btw, we'll need to do anyway once we get to productization).  The only issue I see with doing this in travis is that travis doesn't store build artifacts, and there's no real place to upload these artifacts.  So..hybrid approach, build the artifacts in jenkins; build the images in travis.  Also, I'm guessing you can use a webhook with travis so you can invoke a build upon completion of the jenkins job.

I agree it is nice to split artifact build from images, but hopefully we
could use jboss nexus for that. Alternatively if jboss nexus does not
support zip/tarballs, we have been granted a sonatype repository we
could start using: https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-25298

Using internal jenkins jobs for internal testing and productization is
ok, but we can't remove the upstream CI or have upstream depend on it.
The requirement for an upstream jenkins would be:

* it must be publicly visible
* it must allow non-redhat employees part of the enmasse project to
configure and start jobs
* build/test github pull requests

If there is a public jenkins instance we can use for this, then I'm not
against using that.

--
Ulf Lilleengen