[EnMasse] using the service broker apis

Marko Lukša marko.luksa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 09:33:58 UTC 2017

On 27. 06. 2017 10:54, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 27/06/17 09:40, Marko Lukša wrote:
>>
>> On 27. 06. 2017 10:32, Gordon Sim wrote:
>>> I've been experimenting with using the service broker integration
>>> from address-controller and it all works very nicely. (The first
>>> address always takes a while as it has to start up all the
>>> infrastructure which may involve pulling down latest images.)
>>>
>>> One thing that I do think is confusing though is the option to put
>>> things into a particular project, as the infrastructure is *not*
>>> actually placed in that chosen project. You even get a notice at the
>>> end:
>>>
>>>     "enmasse-queue-2ps8x has been added to My Project successfully"
>>>

>> "enmasse-queue-2ps8x" in this case is the service Instance object,
>> which is indeed added to "My Project",
>
> Ok, that makes sense. Is there a way to view that service instance via
> CLI tools (oc or kubectl)?

You need kubectl version 1.6+ and then configure it to use the service
catalog API server instead of the main OpenShift API server, like this:

|alias sc="kubectl --server=https://$(oc get route apiserver -n
service-catalog -o jsonpath=\"{.spec.host}\") --insecure-skip-tls-verify"|

Then you can use /sc/ to list brokers, serviceClasses, instances and
bindings, as explained here:
https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/tree/master/documentation/servicecatalog#provisioning-addresses-through-the-cli

>> but the infrastructure created by the broker is in a different
>> namespace (could also be in a completely different cluster). The idea
>> of the Service Catalog is to give users the ability to self-provision
>> black box services, but a broker could also provision the services in
>> the same namespace, allowing the user access to the internals of a
>> service (white box).
>>
>> The namespace in which a service instance is created is now passed to
>> the broker, so we could create the MaaS infrastructure in that same
>> namespace. But, do you really want/need that?
>
> Personally I feel it would be a useful option, but that may just be
> due to my familiarity with the 'old ways' and a general dislike of
> 'black boxes' :-)

The main problem with this is that users would then be able to
reconfigure the provisioned infrastructure components directly, without
going through the Service Catalog/Broker mechanism. This shouldn't be
allowed (the SC expects it is the only one modifying the services).