[EnMasse] Proposal: fewer repositories

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Fri Jun 30 11:36:24 UTC 2017

I agree with the view that we should evolve towards fewer repositories
than we have now.

To my mind, breaking things down by the deployment or address-space type
doesn't feel right.

While I can certainly see that a single repo would simplify the CI, I
instinctively dislike that also. There would seem to me to be a whole
range of fairly unrelated things all bundled together. In a way it is
avoiding the effort of trying to find the right division. Had we started
off that way, it might have made sense, however while I think this is an
important conversation to have, I wouldn't want to rush in to that decision.

I could see a couple of smaller changes that would reduce the number of
repos, without making any radical change. e.g.

* combine ragent and routilities

* combine router-image and router-metrics

* combine artemis-image and topic-forwarder

* combine mqtt-gateway and mqtt-lwt

I think putting subserv into routilities would make sense as a short
term step also, as there is some code that can be shared. However longer
term I think we need to rethink the implementation of that component and
it could end up in a very different form.

If we did all that, we could eliminate 5 repos from the current set.